We’ve begun (and have been successful so far) upgrading our cPanel servers to the latest version of cPanel, version 11. The move to upgrade was one that we thought and planned out pretty carefully. We are fairly conservative when it comes to major software (cPanel, PHP, MySQL, etc.) upgrades at Idologic, so we wanted to wait a while and make sure cPanel 11 was going to run without problems. We announced our tentative schedule in late August and began upgrading from there.
What are some of the benefits of using cPanel 11? Here are some that we’ve noticed right away at Idologic:
- Prettier. cPanel 11 is quite a bit prettier than 10. It has a lot more AJAX and a lot of UI improvements such as sorting and more drag and drop features. The interface is also faster.
- Resellers have enhanced branding features as well as faster / easier theme switching.
- There have been a lot of changes in the areas of spam handling and protection for cPanel 11. Spam is one of the biggest causes of server trouble at any hosting company and any improvement to this area is welcomed. In particular, cPanel’s spam handling has been optimized to handle a much higher volume of spam without slowing the server down (which is a good thing given the increasing amount of spam).
- New file manager. If you (or your customers) use the cPanel file manager, you will notice it has undergone significant changes.
- It is now much easier to install modules for Perl and other programming languages.
- The help section of cPanel has been improved significantly. There is also a getting started tour within cPanel now.
If the server you are on hasn’t been upgraded, don’t worry, it’s coming soon. So far, cPanel 11 has been working great (and we expect it to continue to be that way), so you only have positive changes to look forward to in the near future. If you have a dedicated server with us, please contact us and let us know when you’d like to upgrade. You can upgrade at your convenience (and if you’d like, not at all), but it is an upgrade we’re suggesting.
As always, if you have any questions whatsoever, we are standing by and more than happy to assist you.